Thursday, January 20, 2011

Google Chrome

I chose to check out the Google Chrome browser for a couple of reasons. First, unlike Firefox, I have never tried Chrome and I have been thinking about switching browsers for a while, so I figured this was a good time to check into something new. Second, when creating your own websites, it is important to test them on multiple browsers. Installing Chrome gives me one more option to test sites on.
The first thing I noticed is that interface is really clean. I was so used to all the different toolbars and buttons on Internet Explorer, that their absence was almost shocking. The second thing noticed was the offered themes. I like pretty things and some of the themes available for the browser are very pretty. IE might have them as well, but if they do I have never seen them presented.
After a little investigating I discovered that there are a number of add-ons and plug-ins available for Chrome, plus a security feature called sandboxing that helps prevent your computer from crashing if you accidently open a dangerous website. I found a lot of other people like the these features as well; after doing tests on the five major web browsers, PCWorld stated that, “… if we had to pick only one browser, Chrome would be our top recommendation. We like Chrome for its clean and friendly interface, good performance, and strong security.” (Mediati, 2010, p. 4).

Reference

Mediati, N. (2010). Browser blowout 2010 IE vs. Firefox vs. Chrome vs. Safari vs. Opera: Our lab tests reveal which browser is the fastest, the safest, and the most powerful tool for the Web. Retrieved from http://www.pcworld.com/article/200963/browser_blowout_2010.html

No comments:

Post a Comment